2016 1 oz American Gold Eagle coins are the number one selling gold bullion coins in North America. With gold falling to multi year lows in 2015, American Gold Eagle coin sales reached all-time record levels. When the Gold Bullion Coin Act was passed by Congress in 1985, the US Mint began minting American Gold Eagle coins in 1986. 2016 marks the 30th anniversary of the American Gold Eagle coin and has been arguably the most successful gold coin minted worldwide during this time.
- AGW 1 troy oz
- Alloyed with 3% silver, 5.33% copper for durability.
- Legal Tender – $50 face value guaranteed by USG
- Precious Metals IRA Approved
- Shipped individually in plastic flip jackets, US mint tubes of 20, US Mint sealed Monster Box of 500 coins (special shipping required)
- Minted at the West Point Mint
- Available in 1 ounce, half ounce, quarter ounce and one tenth ounce sizes.
The obverse of the 2016 American Gold Eagle is an image of Lady liberty, a design by world renown sculptor Augustus Saint – Gaudens. The word Liberty and the date minted are also present. Lady Liberty is holding a torch in her right hand and an olive branch in her left. The United States Capital is in the lower left background. The Saint Gaudens Lady Liberty design is one of the world’s most recognizable and popular designs ever.
The reverse side of the 2016 1 oz American Gold Eagle coin was designed by Miley Busiek, and displays one of our nation’s greatest symbols, the bald eagle. The design shows a male bald eagle flying above the nest clutching an olive branch in his talons. The female meanwhile is watching over the hatchlings. UNITED STATES of AMERICA, 1 oz Fine Gold ~ $50 Dollars, In God We Trust and E Pluribus Unum are also prominently displayed on the reverse side of the 2016 1 oz American Gold Eagle coin.